TV Review: 100 Humans

What would happen if we took 100 humans with all sorts of backgrounds, ages, sexual orientations and body types, and used them to provide answers to some of life’s silliest questions? For instance: does having a high sperm count make someone a better dancer? Are people in uniforms more attractive? Will a pretty criminal serve a shorter sentence than an ugly one? “100 Humans,” a Netflix program released in early March 2020, is based upon the concept that a group of 100 people from all ages and backgrounds can be perceived as a broader picture of the human race.

Throughout the episodes, these humans go through all sorts of social “scientific” experiments in order to get answers that more curious audiences might be dying to get. Although the experiments demonstrated throughout the show are meant to be scientific, it is only fair to say that there are too many variables to make the results of these experiments statistically valid.  But keep in mind, although there is not much scientific value in what these humans go through, it is still quite interesting and remarkable to witness how they interact and respond
to the variety of situations presented to them throughout the program.

The experiences are designed in such a way that reveal the subconscious of the human mind, questioning prejudices and preconceived notions that each individual carries with them. And even though these experiments do not have much scientific value, they are still entertaining, and interesting to observe.

I found that the human connection that happened throughout the programs was quite pleasant to watch, and at times it contrasted well with more pessimistic results of certain experiments. When the audience is forced to reflect upon the real life consequences that come with subconscious racism, and judgments based on superficial aspects, they are provided with a light of hope in humankind, as they witness the warm human interactions that occur among the participant volunteers during lunch breaks or in between experiments.

Keep in mind that these 100 humans are very distinct individuals that would likely never meet if it wasn’t for this program. Therefore, watching the naturally occurring interactions between them, and the new friendships being born is quite refreshing. The hosts of the show are the stand up comedians Ali Ward, Sammy Obeid and Zainab Johnson. They are quite charismatic, and do a good job of lightening up the mood even at the most pessimistic times. They are pros as engaging with the volunteers, explaining and commenting on the experiences and results. Their comments are very likely to steal laughs and chuckles from the audience throughout the show.

Overall, “100 Humans” is a good watch. The more playful mood of the show balances well with the clear criticism and insight on societal norms provided by the results of certain experiments. Watching 100 Humans in these uncertain times can be a remedy for the soul, since the warm demonstrations of human connection reminds us of what the world will go back to once this current crisis is past.