Student-Alumni Meet-Up Provides Valuable Information

Students, faculty and alumni gathered in Alumni Hall on Tuesday, November 5th for the annual Student-Alumni Meet-Up. The event was organized by the Undergraduate Student Government, the Career Resource Center and the Alumni Relations. It gave undergraduate and
graduate students the opportunity to talk with alumni who were in the same programs as they were, and who and now have successful careers in their fields.

This was my second time attending the Student Alumni Meet-up, as I had attended the Fall 2018 meetup as well. I noticed that there were different alumni at this event than there were last year, which is a nice way to provide variety for attendees, as well as to showcase different job possibilities students can have after graduating.

Before walking into Alumni Hall, students who RSVP’d for the event got a name badge, and were allowed to enter into a raffle to win a basket at the end of the event. After speeches from President Janet L. Steinmayer and other faculty members, the first table session began. The event was organized into three 20 to 30 minute table sessions. Students could visit a designated table and visit with two or three alumni from the same programs at Lesley. There were fourteen tables in total, and there were alumni from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Lesley Art + Design, the Graduate School of Arts and Social Sciences, and the Graduate  School of Education.

Students had an opportunity to talk with alumni who worked in the fields of animation, the medical field, communications, graphic
design, education, counseling, psychiatry and many more.  As a Creative Writing major, I immediately went to the table where alumni Sara Clark and Aqueela Culbreath-Britt were located.  They are both alumnae from Lesley’s graduate program in Creative Writing:  Clark is a Creative Writing professor at Lesley’s undergraduate program, and Culbreath-Britt is an academic advisor at Simmons University. Each spoke of their positive experience in the program, and how it gave them so many useful skills– not just in their writing, but also many real-life, practical skills as well. The two were very helpful and kind, listening closely to my questions and answering to the best of their ability.

Food, drinks, snacks and desserts were also served at the event. After the three table sessions, students, faculty and alumni mingled with each other for a bit before the raffle winners were announced. Many students found the event very helpful in guiding the rest of their college
experience; talking with graduates allowed them to consider possible job opportunities. Senior Madi Reading stated that she thinks about her future in the real world and talking with alumni always helps her to figure out possible jobs.

My personal experience, talking with Clark and Culbreath-Britt, helped me to realize that the writing process is ongoing, and there is no single set of steps you need to complete in order to become a writer: in fact, as long as you write, you are a writer. I walked out of the event feeling more confident about my future, and better aware of the steps I need to take to achieve my goals.