New Campaign Office for Elizabeth Warren Opens in Cambridge

Editor’s note: In our ongoing efforts to keep potential voters informed, the Lesley Public Post will be covering presidential candidates who are campaigning in the area, as well as those who come to campus to answer questions from students and faculty.  Student reporter Charlie Bevilacqua attended the opening of Elizabeth Warren’s new offices at 180 Fawcett Street:

On Wednesday evening, September 18th, I went to the opening of the Cambridge office for the Elizabeth Warren campaign. The three important topics of the night were: ways to “plug in” to the campaign, what is going on now, and stories from the people who work in the office.

The event started with Massachusetts organizing director Zach Mooney introducing the individuals who work in the office and Massachusetts State Director Jossie Valentín. Valentín spoke about what is going on in the campaign, and said, “Elizabeth has brought together so many groups on the sidelines [from the last election].” They also said that the recent New York event which was on September 16th and drew a crowd of 20,000 people was the biggest event (so far) in the Warren campaign. Warren has visited 27 states and Puerto Rico. Valentín said that “we [Elizabeth Warren’s campaign] are where campaigns will be two months from now.” They are currently trying to take New Hampshire and have been canvassing there since June 1st. Elizabeth Warren also just got an endorsement from Maura Healey.

Next, the Regional Organizer Daniela Michanie spoke about why she decided to support Warren. She was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina and after an economic crash, her family immigrated to the United States in search of the “American dream”. They were the first of their family to go to college in the United States. She supports Warren because she is in the fight to fight against demonizing immigrants.

Michanie also spoke about ways you can “plug in” to the Warren campaign. One of the ways is by going to New Hampshire to canvas and tell your story of why you support Warren. The people working in the Cambridge office said they are in the process of getting together ride shares for people who have no means of transportation to New Hampsire. Information about this can be found at: https://www.mobilize.us/warrenfornewhampshire/, just look up events related to canvassing.

After that, Jossie Valentín introduced State Representative Marjory Decker. Decker spoke about how they were the first in their family to graduate from high school and college. They like Warren because she “knows what it means to struggle”. They also spoke about how they graduated from college with a lot of debt and it severely limited their opportunities. Decker also said that people are feeling vulnerability due to the current president that they had been shielded from before. They closed with saying “we are going to make America the country it should be. Without us, there is no America.”

All in all, it was a very interesting event and a good way to meet new people who support the same presidential candidate as you. If you would like more information about what Elizabeth Warren’s plans are, and where she stands on the various issues, you can visit: https://elizabethwarren.com/plans

Some of the attendees at the opening of Elizabeth Warren’s new campaign office in Cambridge.