Movie Review– Avengers: Endgame

[Note: if you haven’t seen the movie yet, this review contains a few spoilers.]

When I was 10 years old, I saw Iron Man 2 in theaters and absolutely hated it. When I was 12, I saw the Avengers and thought it was mostly boring until the battle of New York at the end. I didn’t see another Marvel movie again until I was 15 which was Avengers: Age of Ultron
and then Captain America: Civil War the following year. Around this time, I had just started to begin reading some of Marvel’s comics after getting into DC for a while. I’ve been an avid fan of Marvel for about three years now, and I could have never imagined the amount of joy Marvel would bring me: the wonderful memories that I would make, the endless laughs and frustrated cries, and the epic stories that would become such a big part of my life, both on page and on screen.

After 11 years and 22 films, an era of the Marvel Cinematic Universe reaches an end with Avengers: Endgame. Directed by brothers Anthony and Joe Russo, who also directed two Captain America films and Avengers: Infinity War, the film has the Avengers trying to cope with
the genocidal alien Thanos, disintegrating half of the universe’s population while finding a way to bring everybody back. Already in its first weekend in theaters, Avengers: Endgame has broken records for ticket sales and has been crushing the box office, with a U.S opening gross of $360 million and a worldwide gross of $1.2 billion thus far. At 3 hours and 2 mins, Avengers: Endgame is an epic finale to a beloved saga that manages to surprise, deliver and anguish its audience.

The plot of the film was not revealed to fans until they saw the movie for themselves, to create an element of surprise for even the most devoted fans. 22 days after the infamous snap, Tony Stark and Nebula are afloat in Space with little to no food, water, oxygen and fuel. They
are rescued by Captain Marvel, who returns them to earth and works with the Avengers to find and kill Thanos, but not before he manages to destroy the infinity stones. Five years later, Scott Lang (Ant-Man) exits the Quantum Realm, a microscopic universe, after being in stuck in there since the snap happened. He goes to Avengers compound and informs Captain America and Black Widow of the Quantum Realm’s possible use for time travel, which can allow the Avengers to get the infinity stones in the past and use them to bring everyone back who died
from the snap. With the help of the Hulk and Stark, the Avengers, along with Rocket Raccoon and Nebula from the Guardians of the Galaxy, go on a “time heist” to bring back those that were lost and to defeat Thanos once and for all.

What remains confusing about this movie was how it handled the aspect of time travel.  Unlike most time travel movies, the Avengers going back in time did not do anything to affect the present day. It just created alternate realities. While the directors eventually cleared this up, it
still remains bizarre to fans who have been presented with different rules of time travel through decades of film. Yet, the difference of time travel in the Marvel Cinematic Universe makes the film stand out from others.

The movie may be long, but it keeps you entertained every second. Whether it’s witty remarks, jokes, action or drama between the characters, the movie has you glued to your seat. The first hour is a bit slow, with a five year time jump and the team assembling so many years after the events of Infinity War, but the second hour is pure time travel fun. You get to see the Avengers enter different time points during the Marvel Cinematic Universe and run into a few old faces along the way. The final hour results in a huge final battle between Thanos and his army and the Avengers, and a whole lot of them.

I was a bit disappointed with Tony Stark’s sacrifice at first, but with time, I realized that it was a fitting end for his character. For 11 years of films, Stark has gone from a self observed, narcissistic billionaire to a selfless hero, prepared to do whatever it takes to save those he loves.
It is extremely touching to see how far the character has come. I was also disappointed by Steve Rogers abandoning the present to go to the 1940’s to live out his life with his true love Peggy Carter, but also grew more accepting towards his choice. After being a beacon of hope for the world for 75 years, Rogers deserves to have a peaceful life with the woman he loves. I am excited to see how Sam Wilson (Falcon) does in the Captain America mantle. Overall, Avengers Endgame was a bittersweet ending to the MCU as we know it. While there are many Marvel films and projects to come, the film closes a chapter for the original six Avengers and opens up a new one for future Avengers to step into. I’m sad to see these characters go, but I’m also excited to see what Marvel has in store for some of the newer characters and what they might introduce next.