Reporting from The Patriots’ 2019 Super Bowl Parade

On Sunday, February 3rd, 2019 Super Bowl LIII took place in Atlanta between the New England Patriots and the Los Angeles Rams. It was an exciting night for New Englanders when the Patriots pulled out their sixth Super Bowl win at 13-3. This meant that there would be a fun
filled parade the following Tuesday, February 5th, 2019 in Boston. The parade began at 11 AM that morning starting at Hynes Convention Center, continuing down Boylston Street, past the Public Garden and Boston Common to Tremont Street, and finishing on Cambridge Street.

I was lucky enough to go and view the parade first hand. I was invited by my two friends who attend Suffolk University. I woke up early Tuesday morning, walked into Harvard Square, and took the Red Line to Park Street. I was a bit nervous to take public transportation as
I am not originally from the city and knew it would be quite crowded considering the circumstances. The route however was a straight shot and it was quite easy for me to reach my friends. The T was packed with loud, excited fans in patriots jerseys holding hand made signs to
cheer on their team.

Upon arriving, I noticed a lot of security and officers all around which made me feel pretty safe in such a crowded, unpredictable area. There were a few organized aspects of the event, some being having an online map to view the route of the parade, and even holding viewing areas for people with disabilities. The parade itself was a lot of fun, especially for those who are diehard sports fans. It was very interesting being able to see the players so close in person as they proudly passed on the floats. The vibes were positive and energetic as upbeat music played, fans cheers and held up signs, and confetti burst throughout the streets.

One thing I wish there was available is a way to track the parade from your phone. We knew it began at 11, however were were unsure when it would pass by where we were standing. This was a bit unfortunate for me as I had planned on leaving by 12 to attempt to make my 12:55 class back at Lesley. By that time, the floats hadn’t even started going by. Considering this was a one of a lifetime experience, and the parade was just yards away from reaching us, I made the decision to email my professors and let them know I would be unable to make it to class.

If you ever get the opportunity to attend another one of these New England sports parades, there are a few things to keep in mind. You will most likely need to make a day out of it, because if you have somewhere to be, as I did, it is unlikely you will be able to get there smoothly or on time. It is also important to keep in mind that you are in a public environment with people of all ages– meaning that drinking alcoholic beverages and use of marijuana is most likely going to be occurring around you. After the parade was over there was an overwhelming crowd of people pushing and shoving to make their way out. Many of the parade goers were looking for places to eat causing many of the
surrounding restaurants to have long waits. It took a lot of frustration and walking for my friends and I to find somewhere decent to eat without too much of a wait after the parade.

One of the most unfortunate parts of the event was all the trash left over after the parade. Paper confetti covered the streets along with cans, empty nips, and wrappers galore. If you are planning on meeting someone you know there, especially if it’s after the parade is over, do not count on it because it can be difficult to maneuver through the crowd of people. I expected to see many people I knew, since I was sure via social media that many were there; however I saw almost none– that’s just how many thousands of people were there! Overall, this was an amazing once in a lifetime experience. If you ever get the chance to attend another, I highly recommend going and enjoying being a part of the celebrations of some of the most successful sports teams. It is obviously a very popular public attraction considering the popularity of the sports industry, especially football. Why wouldn’t you want to experience something so exciting, extravagant, and most importantly, free! I highly recommend the experience for anyone up for something fun to do. It is good for people of all ages, sports fans or not. Just be prepared for the crowds, the chaos… and the trash!

Photo courtesy of David L. Ryan, Boston Globe Staff