Lesley Students Recommend Swing Dancing

Sometimes Wednesdays can be even more of a struggle than Mondays. Wednesday is surrounded on all sides by more of the same – work. But what are you doing to break free from your Wednesday rut? Why not try west coast swing dancing with The Dancing Fools?

Dance can be incredibly beneficial to people of all ages. There is good evidence that movement can help to relieve some of the stress that has built up during the week, while also giving you the opportunity for learning, socializing, and fun. Whether you’ve been sitting in classes all day, or you’ve been stuck at a 9-to-5, dance can help you end your day on the right note.

The Dancing Fools meets on Wednesdays at the Cambridge Masonic Hall and is run by Lesley’s own Neal Klein – a well-known and popular professor of psychology at the university.  It has been active for more than 20 years. Their mission statement reads, “We will teach you in a fun, relaxed atmosphere.  No partner necessary; bring friends or meet new people! Our ability to incorporate good technique, musicality, and the sheer delight of being playful and having fun with each “fool” we dance with is what makes us The Dancing Fools!”

The group aims to create an open environment for all to enjoy. First, you can attend an hour-long lesson at 8pm. There are beginner, intermediate, and advanced lessons to accommodate for all experience levels and promote inclusion. After you’ve learned some moves in your lesson, you’re free to put your skills to the test and join The Dancing Fools for social dancing from 9 until midnight. A variety of music is always played, from fast songs to slow songs, from decades music to hip-hip or blues. General admission is $10 per person, but students with a valid student ID receive a discounted price of $5.

There are many good reasons for giving swing dancing a try, and everyone attends the Dancing Fools for a variety of reasons. Royce Ijac, a regular attendee, says, “I love swing dancing because it’s a dedicated time for me to wind down and forget about my stresses every week. It’s a great way to calm my mind and body in a way that keeps me active and social while giving me my own artistic freedom.” Hanna Wennerberg commented, “I like swing dancing on Wednesdays because it allows me to work my mind, body, and spirit all at the same time through being physical in dance, being able to express my emotions, and connecting with my partners.”

As for me, several of my friends told me about the Dancing Fools.  Because they recommended it, that made me decide to try it. I am glad that I did. I used to dance when I was younger, and it’s good to get back into dancing again.  I really enjoy swing dancing because it promotes self-confidence; it also strengthens my communication skills, and provides an outlet for creativity and self-expression. In fact, dance is a part of my self-care, because it’s something I do just for me.