Lesley Alum Will Run in Boston Marathon to Raise Money for Casa Myrna

My name is Jeremy Colon; I recently wrote a piece about my life since graduation, so perhaps you know I am a personal trainer, life coach, and founder of Jeremy Colon Enterprises, a physical fitness professional center in Dorchester.  What inspired me to become a personal trainer and a life coach? On July 31st, 2013, I made the decision to donate one of my kidneys to my father. Since then, my life has changed! It was after that moment that I pushed myself to commit more to my health, as well as being in service of others who struggle with theirs. Throughout my life experiences, I’ve always had the same goals; I want to keep improving myself, and I want to do more to help my family, friends, and my community.

On November 5th, 2017, I participated in, and completed, the TCS Marathon in New York as a representative for the group “Team for Kids”; this organization provides after school exercise programs for inner city youth. I can never put into words how important that marathon was to me. I was given the opportunity to raise money and awareness for children who have the odds stacked against them. Because I feel so blessed with how my own life has turned out, I now want to take on another challenge, one that is even more meaningful to me personally.

I will be running in the 2018 Boston Marathon as a representative for Team Casa Myrna in April. What makes this marathon so important to me is the fact that I get to run in MY city. Boston is my home, the setting that nurtured me and helped develop me into the man I am today. Growing up, I often attended the World-Famous Boston Marathon, but never did I think I’d have the opportunity to participate in it. The Boston Marathon is the pinnacle of marathons, and I am honored to represent Team Casa Myrna.

If you don’t know about Casa Myrna, it is one of New England’s leading women’s shelters.  Casa Myrna, offers support services and safety; it helps victims of abuse to get back on their feet again and have a better future.

Domestic violence will affect 1 in 3 women at some point in their lifetime, and 1 in 4 women experience severe physical violence by an intimate partner in their lifetime.  Each year, Casa Myrna serves over 1,000 survivors through residential programs, housing assistance, financial literacy education and job readiness skill building, individual and group counseling, legal advocacy and representation, children’s services, and community-based advocacy. It also operates SafeLink, Massachusetts’ statewide 24/7 toll-free domestic violence hotline, which answers over 25,000 calls annually, and nearly 100 calls a day.

I chose Casa Myrna because of the important work they do, and because I know women who have been victims of domestic violence.  I understand the impact it can have– it can leave a woman feeling afraid, depressed, and helpless.  But Casa Myrna is there for women who need a safe place to go.  I am proud to say I am running on behalf of local domestic violence survivors.  I hope to raise $10,000 to aid in the wonderful work Casa Myrna does.

Can I count on your support?  Through your generosity, domestic violence survivors will get more outreach, education, and counseling. By being a part of Team Casa Myrna, my goal is to help people to learn more about the root causes of domestic violence; I want to make a meaningful impact in the lives of survivors and their children.  And I want to help Casa Myna get the funding it needs to continue the programs it offers.

For more information about Team Casa Myrna, contact me directly: JeremyColonEnterprises@gmail.com or (617) 710-3234.  I hope you will decide to donate. It’s easy: you can make online donations here: http://bit.ly/JeremyColon   Thank you for your time, consideration and participation!