Successful Season for Men’s Basketball Team

As the men’s basketball team approaches the final game of the season, they find themselves in a much better position now than they were at this point last year. With a current 14-10 record, they are now tied with the single season wins record which sits at 14. They’re having a record year. With the help of a couple junior college transfers, and team chemistry, they have been able to connect the pieces that were missing last year, and transform into a more complete college basketball team.

The men’s basketball team is experiencing success that they haven’t experienced for a few years. The team started their season winning their first 6 of 9 games, bringing a lot of momentum as they went into their winter break. They had one of the best starts in program history when they won 6 of their first 7 games, bringing a lot more attention and a sense of importance to the team. With keys contributions from Marquise Johnson, Devon Mayo, and Xeo Golding, the basketball team is competitive with any team they face.  But with a shorter break than everyone else, the basketball team only had two weeks until they were back to the grind on the court.

The pre-season for basketball really begins right after everyone has moved back into the dorms.  It’s a long season, and that seems to have affected the team’s second half of the season.  Since the team returned in January for the second half, they had only an 8-7 overall record, and an even 6-6 record in conference play.  But the team still has a winning record, and with their hard work and desire to win, Lesley men’s basketball is in a good position for the conference tournament. It is guaranteed that they will make it to the conference tournament since the top 6 teams make it and they are currently in third place. With a half-game lead over Daniel Webster College, they will need to beat Elms to stay in third place and have the best seed possible going into the conference tournament

With team chemistry, key team leaders, and hard work, the Lesley men’s basketball team is poised to not only break the program’s single season win record, but also to compete in the conference tournament and possibly win a conference title. The team has seen much more success this year than the previous, which has given the team great confidence. The season is not over yet, but the team is becoming more complete and has a bright future ahead of them.  Team members also hope large numbers of Lesley students will come out to support them as they play their remaining games.  Also, a special congratulations to Devon Mayo, who scored his 1,000th career point last Tuesday.

Xeo Golding finishing his shot, February 12. Courtesy of Lesley Athletics.