Women’s Soccer: A Difficult Playoff Loss, but Another Great Season

Competition is part of human nature:  we thrive on it, and it’s what makes the world work.  Those of us who play for Lesley University’s athletic teams understand the importance of competition.  We know it promotes creativity and genius; we also know there are always those who will rise to the top.  And we know from experience that it’s impossible to win every game (although we wish we could).  This year, our team experienced a tough loss that ended our season.  Still, while the playoff loss was disappointing, that doesn’t mean the over all season wasn’t a success.  And although the post season did not go as we had hoped, we gained more from losing then we ever would have thought.

In a previous article, I explained my love for the game and for my team; and I told you about our winning record this year.  We were proud to be in the playoffs again.  The first game of the post season was played against Newbury College. The first time we saw their team, we beat them 5-1. In the quarter finals, we were tied 0-0 at the half, but we managed to get two goals during the second half.  The low score was not for lack of chances. We had 26 shots on goal and Newbury had 0.

The next game, we battled Regis; we came back from losing 1-0 at the half to win it 4-1.   And then came the championship.  In that game, we played our rivals, Elms College. We had a tough loss to Elms earlier in the season, 1-0, and in the finals, we fought hard.  We scored two goals, after being down 3-0; but we finished on the losing end of a 4-2 final score.  The emotions were raw after the game, because we all have worked so hard all year, and we are very emotionally invested in our game and our team. Many of us have been playing since we were young; we have dreamed about playing collegiate soccer, because it is the highest level that we will compete at.

I have loved playing with my teammates.  They are totally unselfish players:  everyone plays for each other, and works hard no matter who we’re playing.  Those of you who came to see us know that we have constantly improved throughout the season.  We battled through injuries and adversity, and we worked hard for every win. Losing the final playoff game was tough, but it is something we can learn from.  And it will motivate us for the off season so that we can get better, faster, and stronger.  We realize now that other teams are rapidly improving, and we can’t take any game for granted.  We plan to come back next year ready, prepared, and confidant.

These are the seven freshmen on the women's soccer team. Top row left to right, Holly Buschelman, Katelyn Scott, Hope Seasholes and Gabriel Vesona. First row, left to right, Melanie Mathewson, Brittley Gaan and Julia De Mars.

These are the seven freshmen on the women’s soccer team. Top row left to right, Holly Buschelman, Katelyn Scott, Hope Seasholes and Gabriel Vesona. First row, left to right, Melanie Mathewson, Brittley Gaan and Julia De Mars.