Another Perspective on Lesley’s School Spirit Problem

Editor’s Note:  This is a follow up to what Nick Iadevaio’s wrote last week; he discussed how a lack of athletic facilities hurts student athletes at Lesley.  The author of this article is also a student-athlete.

Lesley University offers an amazing personal experience to the students that attend because of its collective focus on community. As a community we have created an organization that strives for social justice, education, and creativity. Students feel grateful for this opportunity, but improvements can be made. School spirit represents an area that needs improvement and investment. This can be achieved through new school facilities.

Before I begin, I want to take the time to express my gratitude toward the University. Due to the hard work and sacrifice of countless individuals, I am receiving an exceptional education in a world class city. The lessons I learn here from my course work, extracurricular activities, and interpersonal relationships will stay with me forever. At the same time, I think the school can improve in several areas. These improvements can transform Lesley into a national name, a benchmark that seems more than attainable.

Lesley’s Athletic Program attracts students from across the globe. Members hail from many different communities, but all share a passion for their prospective sports. We need this passion in order to compete because unfortunately, sports teams here don’t have the necessary resources to succeed. Despite this major challenge, we still do well, as evidenced by the success of teams like Women’s Soccer and Softball. It’s also important to note that over the past three years, four student-athletes from three different teams have written a combined five articles about the university’s lack of facilities.

Besides impacting the productivity of sports teams, a lack of facilities also hurts the rest of the student body. When a sports team wants to have a team workout in the gym, there is neither enough space nor workout equipment in order to accommodate everyone. This means the average Lesley student, with a busy schedule that includes challenging academic coursework, internships, and jobs, cannot exercise, an important way to maintain good health. As someone who exercises regularly, I would not wish this upon anyone, regardless of whether they are a student athlete or not.

New facilities give us the chance to strengthen the community. Senior Ryan Haas offers an insightful point of view: “I’ve seen the community from several different perspectives like living on campus, living off campus, playing a sport, and not playing a sport. There aren’t opportunities available from the school that foster school spirit. I’ve been here four years and I couldn’t tell you who many of my classmates are, because we’ve never all been together in the same room. There’s no spirit because there’s no opportunity for us to unite.” Facilities provide a solution to these desires through intramural activities, a space for formal events, and a place for students to enjoy leisurely activities.

I know that Lesley University is on the rise. The creation of the Lunder Arts Center, and the revival of the Business Management program under Dr. Jonathan Jefferson, demonstrate our progress. Adding new athletic facilities around campus would be a welcome addition to this list of Lesley’s recent achievements. This upgrade would improve the lives of everyone affiliated with the university, and enhance our reputation as an outstanding center of education.

LesleyLogo