Movie Review: Steve Jobs

Do you ever use iPhone, iPod, iPad, iMac or MacBook Pro daily? What made Apple a great success? How did the founder of Apple change the world? Recently, Walter Isaacson tried to answer these questions. He released his best-selling biography, “Steve Jobs.” The book was crafted from more than forty interviews Isaacson had with Jobs over the course of two years, and it provided a deep, introspective look into the life of the man responsible for turning Apple into the world’s most valuable company. Now, based on Isaacson’s best-selling biography, the film of the same title was made into a screenplay by Academy Award winner Aaron Sorkin (who won Best Adapted Screenplay for The Social Network in 2010), and directed by another Academy Award winner, Danny Boyle (Best Director for Slumdog Millionaire in 2008).

I wanted to see Steve Jobs in part because I was a huge fan of Danny Boyle’s work (I loved Slumdog Millionaire). By directing Steve Jobs and working with Aaron Sorkin’s screenplay, this was a new chapter in Boyle’s film career. Boyle described this new film as a natural extension of The Social Network, which, of course, was based on the creation of Facebook.

The movie Steve Jobs featured many Hollywood stars. Michael Fassbender, best known as Magneto in the latest “X-Men” movies, stars in the lead role Jobs; and Seth Rogen, from “The Interview” and other comedies, plays Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak. Oscar winning actress Kate Winslet (Best Actress in a Leading Role for The Reader in 2008) plays Joanna Hoffman, a member of the original Mac team and the NeXT team, and Jobs’ confidant in the film.

Steve Jobs tells the story of the Apple co-founder, a man whose passion and innovation led to the launching  of the first Apple computer.  The film takes us behind the scenes, telling the true story of how a great but very complicated genius changed the world.  Despite being so creative and innovative, Jobs was also controversial.  He was disloyal to his friends, he offended his allies, and he mistreated his loved ones. His story challenges some myths about the correlation between virtue and success.  In real life, Steve Jobs was both heroic and despicable; he inspired both loyalty and resentment, and the movie does not try to paint him as someone perfect.

Being a cold rationalist, Jobs was certain he knew what the public wanted. In that, he was successful, as the success of Apple showed.  But in his personal life, he was less of a success:  he was a father with an infant daughter, whom he was reluctant to acknowledge or support financially.

This film clearly shows all sides of Steve Jobs, as a business executive, a husband, and a father.  It lets the viewer come to a better understanding of the man whose products we all know. Michael Fassbender gives a stunning performance in his role as the Apple CEO. Kate Winslet’s performance in this film is equally impressive. It was Fassbinder and Winslet who were in the majority of the scenes, and their acting will impress you.  Some of the movie critics may disagree with me:  not everyone liked this film, but I did.  In my opinion, I found Steve Jobs  to be an inspiring and moving film. I was fascinated to watch his rise, and to see how he became one of the greatest entrepreneurs of the 21st century.

Steve-Jobs-Poster