Some Kitchen Tips for College Students

I love to cook! I am past my days of Top Ramen and Vienna Sausages, but not making enough money to make gourmet meals with expensive cooking equipment quite yet.  But with just a few tips and tricks, anyone can turn an ordinary meal into an extraordinary meal that will surprise yourself, and impress others. Here are a few helpful tips:

1. Put the garlic in the pan AFTER the onion!
Many different recipes call for onion and garlic to be sautéed. Put the onion in the pan first, once the onion is starting to become translucent, then add the chopped garlic. The garlic will cook much faster than the onion, and unless you are looking for a burnt garlic taste, add it after the onion.

2. Use a Blender Bottle
Many of us who have ever made a protein shake have bought at least one Blender Bottle. If you don’t have one or know what it is, it is large clear cup with a twist-on lid; it has a cap you remove to take a drink (or pour from), and inside the cup there is a wire ball used to mix the protein with the liquid when shaken.  You can get these bottles for very cheap online, and they are very versatile. Blender Bottles can be used to mix up eggs for a scramble, mix up liquid ingredients for a recipe quickly, and you can even make salad dressing in them. The usefulness of the Blender Bottle is limitless, so use your imagination.

3. Cook plain rice with broth
Rice gets really boring. Substitute half of the amount of water for soup broth– whatever kind you like. If you choose to cook your rice with water, you can also throw a bouillon cube in with the hot water to add flavor.

4. Don’t waste food!
Spice up your pasta sauce by taking some of those vegetables that are about to go bad and adding them into the sauce.

5. Affogato
Affogato is an Italian dessert traditionally made with a shot of espresso poured over vanilla gelato. If you don’t have an espresso maker you can brew a bold pot of coffee and pour it over ice cream. Get creative with this one! I have made Affogato with many different kinds of ice cream. This one is has been a favorite and is sure to impress!

Morsel - Avec

I have other tips too, and I hope to share them in the near future.  Have fun cooking, and don’t be afraid to try something new!