Men’s Volleyball Team Shows Promise

“The night is darkest just before the dawn.”  This quote from Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight describes the situation that Lesley’s Men’s Volleyball has found itself in.  But after experiencing a period of hardship in the form of a losing streak lasting almost 3 seasons, Lesley University recently tasted victory and is beginning to show some promise. On February 28th, the Lynx overcame Pratt Institute.  Several key players stepped up:  Both Tyler Burns and Jess Cherry set personal career highs in kills, with twenty-five and eleven respectively. However, the individual who stood out the most was sophomore Mitchel Ulacco. Ulacco earned fifty-one assists on the night, setting a new program record for most assists in a match. The talented sophomore showed a touch of class in the performance, with several plays that can only be described as elegant and technical.

With one game left in the season, Men’s Volleyball hopes it can capitalize on this example of good form and positivity. Regardless of the season’s final results, the future looks bright. Ulacco views this season as  “a step in the right direction.”  And he is not alone in that opinion.  Lesley’s Assistant Director of Athletics, Aaron Bouyea, says, “This is the best, most competitive team we’ve had in a long time.”  He is encouraged by how the team is coming together. “We are really starting to build a foundation.”

This progress is occurring despite the fact that many players on the team have had little experience playing volleyball.  But they demonstrate spirit and passion for the game, giving their best each and every set. Adopting what could be described as a “blue-collar approach” allows the “artists” on the team a chance to express themselves. As a sophomore, Tyler Burns is on track to become the all-time leader in kills in Lesley University history. This core group of young players, mixed with a team attitude that says “never say die”, provides some major ingredients for a winning recipe.

Men’s Volleyball journey to New England Collegiate Conference glory is still very much in its infancy. Hopefully, after a season or two of solid recruiting, this team can find itself adding some championships to the Lesley University athletic program.

Men's Volleyball

Categorised in: Campus News, Sports