If the MBTA is struggling, so are commuters

[Editor’s note:  Last week, we published an article about living on campus during our recent snow storms. Here’s the perspective of a student who has to commute to Lesley.]

The MBTA is the only mode of transportation for many commuters (including myself), and because of that, getting to school/work/anywhere for the past month has been nothing short of a complete disaster. With one snowstorm after another, the sheer amount of snow, ice, and slush has wreaked havoc on the city, as well as on the MBTA’s decades-old infrastructure. Governor Charlie Baker even had to declare a snow emergency; reports say that double the $18 million snow removal budget has been spent so far, and we’re only in February.

For commuters, the concern now is less about delays and more about if the trains are even running. On one Tuesday, Lesley cancelled classes because the trains weren’t operating, and they know that commuters rely heavily on the T. Although classes are back to a normal schedule now, for some of us, the trains still are not.

Down here at the Boston College stop on the B line, where I live, the trains weren’t running at all for the past week. For the first day, there was no shuttle service down here, so commuters who live in this area were stuck at home and could not go to class. Some people have suggested taking a cab to school, but from here to Porter Square would cost around thirty dollars, so the round trip would be sixty. Therefore, cabs are not a luxury that I, or any other broke college student, can afford.

When MBTA shuttles did start coming down here, there wasn’t really a set schedule, so planning around them was impossible. And getting back home is another story— what was once a one hour commute has become a two to three hour commute, especially when trying to return home during rush hour. Crowds were spilling off the outside platform into the street at Kenmore station, waiting for a shuttle to Boston College, shivering in the frigid temperatures as bus after bus drove by, already packed to capacity.

The MBTA has said that it will take at least thirty days for service to return to normal. That means delays, disabled trains, packed stations, and more delays. Until the weather becomes more manageable, we commuters will just have to keep doing the best we can.

BCsnow

Categorised in: Campus News, Current Issues