Keeping Up With the Men’s Soccer Team

The Lesley University’s Men’s Soccer team has had a rocky season. Starting off with a couple of losses to Mount Ida College and Eastern Nazarene College, they then bounced back, and have recently come through with some wins and ties. The men’s soccer team record is currently 7-5-4. Recently the men tied their game against Elms on Saturday, October 25th. The game ended in a 1-1 tie and at the end of the first half the Lynx had to go down a player due to a red card, and battle out the rest of the game.

Off the field, head coach Jim Costa leads the men’s team for his first year as head coach. Coach Costa was previously the assistant coach of 7 years with the Lynx and Coach Paul Vasconcelos [now women’s head coach] was previously the head coach for the men for 9 years up until this year. On the field, the team is led by three captain seniors: Herbin Berreondo, Ray Cohen, and Jordan Santos. The captains have helped the team to make their adjustments to a new coach, as well as adapting to the ups and downs of this season. Captain Jordan Santos, a senior majoring in Business Management, commented, “the team has adjusted well to having Costa as our coach. Luckily he’s been on staff with us for some time as assistant, so we are used to having him at training, and are familiar with his style of play.”

The men’s team is looking forward to a strong finish to their season. The Lynx have two more games in regular conference play.  Their goal is to make a successful showing in the playoffs. Santos commented on the team reaching the playoffs, saying, “we are playing very well and in a long season like ours hitting the peak of performance at the right time is important … once we get to the playoffs, it’s just taking it one game at a time, obviously with the championship always in mind.”

Post-season playoff games are some of the most important games of the season; it’s what every team is training and working hard for.  Needless to say, the Lynx would appreciate everyone’s support, as fall sports are coming to an end and winter sports are starting up.  You can catch the men’s next game against Mitchell College this Wednesday, October 29th at 8:00 p.m. on the home field at BB&N.

MensSoccer2014

Categorised in: Campus News, Sports