Meet the Women’s Soccer Team

[Editor’s Note:  The author of this article, Hayley Wirth, is a member of the team.  A junior, she is majoring in Business Management.]

The Lesley Women’s soccer team, led by Coach Paul Vasconcelos, has been off to a good start so far, with a record of 8-3-0. The team started off strong, with a three game win streak over Mount Ida, Eastern Nazarene College, and Suffolk. They also got a big 2-1 win over MIT, which at the time was ranked number fifteen in the nation for Division III schools. Lesley’s first loss occurred against Wellesley College; it was a tough double-overtime defeat ending in 1-0.

While an 8-3-0 record may seem positive, the women’s soccer team has already lost more games this season than they did all last season. I asked Coach Vasconcelos what he thought of the three losses (against Wellesley College, Brandeis University, and Tufts University).  He replied that “all three losses were by one goal against top programs; [there’s] nothing to be discouraged about.”  In fact, the members of the Lady Lynx are very optimistic about the rest of the season; they found the losses to be a learning experience.

The team is now starting to get into conference play, and seems well on the way to a  third consecutive New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) championship.   Captain Lexi Giusti, a senior majoring in Biology, commented, “we haven’t lost a conference game in five years and we aren’t planning on breaking the streak. We will continue working hard for the rest of the season.”

Coach Vasconcelos has high hopes for this year’s team; meanwhile, the players are hoping the Lesley community will show its support.   A good time to do that would be this Thursday, October 9th, when the Lady Lynx will be playing Fitchburg State.  The game will be played at BB&N at 8:00p.m., and it is the first annual Faculty Night.  On behalf of my team and my coach, I encourage everyone to go to the game and cheer us on.

More information about the New England Collegiate Conference and women’s soccer can be found at http://www.neccathletics.com/sports/wsoc/index

Lesley Women's Soccer Team 2014

Categorised in: Campus News, Sports

1 Response »

1. I am fully supportive of the Lesley Women’s soccer! Wish I was there to cheer them on in person, but I am in the West Coast,,,,,,I watch on streaming! I am very optimistic for
    The team ! They have won the NECC with their combined effort of each and every team
    Player! They are being more assertive and strong in every effort!
    I also have great confidence in Coach Vasconcelos, I know he has the experience to lead
    The Lynx to victory! So I say, “very proud of you Lesley Ladies and continued success”
    #swarm,,,,,thank you Hayley for a well written observation of The Lesley Women’s Soccer
    Team!