Girlhood: Then & Now

GirlhoodPhoto

According to Google, the word “girlhood” is defined as “the state or time of being a girl.” A very brief definition for a time that can represent so many things for so many people — regardless of the gender they were defined as at birth.

For every woman, how they remember and define their girlhood is different. It is dependent upon many different variables like race, class, sexuality, ability, etc. Thus, it is seemingly impossible to take on the task of defining girlhood, especially in simple weekly blogposts.

With this blog series, I hope to highlight what girlhood means for people from every walk of life — at least, the ones who are willing to engage in dialogue with me about their experiences. It is hugely important that we look back on our girlhood and think about how it has shaped who we are, whether it is our personalities, our goals or our faith.

As we take time to look back at our girlhood and what it means to us, we also have to take it a step further. It’s not enough to simply think about our own girlhood, but we also need to think critically about how girlhood changes over time — how the socially constructed ideas that encompass girlhood continually morph as we advance in technology, fashion, and change what we expect from girls and women in the world.

With that, I hope to shed some light on girlhood then and now — what has changed for girls since we were traversing the waters of girlhood? How can we be allies to girls who face the same issues that we did, as well as ones that we may not fully understand?

And perhaps, most importantly, how can we raise each other up to be strong women and girls together?

For more about girlhood, Women’s Rights, and empowerment, visit the Lesley Women’s Center Blog