Lesley 2013: A Year In Review

Ah, the new year is upon us.  As we prepare to kiss 2013 goodbye, a look back indicates that it was quite a big year for Lesley University.  The following list examines highlights in LU happenings month by month:

January

The beginning of the spring semester saw campus events that engaged the Lesley community in critical discussion.  One such event occurred on January 30th, when Lesley hosted a panel on photojournalism and the Arab Spring uprising.  The panel coincided with Remi Ochlik’s Arab Spring photography on view in the AIB Main Gallery.

Panelists led a discussion on photojournalism and the Arab Spring moderated by Dean Mayes in Washburn Auditorium.

February

Lesley participated in 1 Billion Rising, a global campaign that calls for an end to gender-based violence and inequality.  The Valentine’s Day procession included a dance performance by dance and music therapy students and a screening of “Power and Control: Domestic Abuse in America”.  The Lesley Women’s Center and Third Wave Feminism Club were crucial in coordinating this event in their ongoing effort to advocate for women’s rights.

1br-logobg-web-450x129

March

Lesley cafeteria workers employed by Bon Appetit won union recognition on March 1st.  Supported by hundreds of students, faculty, and staff members, the workers presented their petition to management just days before.  Though regarded as a victory, the unionization was just the start of a long journey of negotiations.

Bon Appetit workers and their supporters with their a petition that was presented to management.

Bon Appetit workers and their supporters with their petition that was presented to management.

April

Emotions were amplified when Lesley reacted to the Boston Marathon Bombings and the city-wide shelter in place that followed.  Many students found strength in community as Lesley offered support and a vigil to reflect on the tragic events that took place on April 15th.

The Lesley Community gathered on the Doble quad on April 16th to reflect on the Boston Marathon bombings, honor the victims, support each another.

May

As the academic year closed, Lesley and AIB’s class of 2013 saw the close of their undergraduate years as well.  On May 18th, commencement ceremonies took place at the Bank of America Pavilion and featured a performance and speech by honorary degree recipient Graham Nash.

Graham Nash at Art Institute of Boston/Lesley University 2013 Graduation.

Graham Nash at the Art Institute of Boston/Lesley University 2013 Graduation.

June

Joanne Dreher, beloved advisor and founding director of the Undergraduate Academic Advising Center retired on June 30th.  Joanne worked relentlessly to ensure the academic well-being of students during her time at Lesley, especially fragile first-years beginning their college career.

Screen Shot 2013-12-29 at 4.04.38 PM

July

For seven weeks, the Guyana Lesley Abroad Service Semester paired students with indigenous culture and a tropical natural environment.  This special study abroad experience is offered every summer for a variety of majors and has garnered rave reviews from past attendees.

Lesley students making a reptile friend in Guyana.

August

Building plans for the Lunder Art Center were finalized in the last leg of summer, bringing the Lesley community one step closer to the new College of Art and Design.  The ambitious and lengthy 46 million dollar project picked up major steam throughout 2013 and is expected to finish in 2015.

"Perspective 1" of the Art Center building plan.

“Perspective 1” of the Art Center building plan.

September

Lesley Freshmen and soccer players Skylar Ripley and Erik Johansen were named Rookie of the Week by the New England Collegiate Conference during two different weeks in September.  Their back-to-school recognition is a testament to the strength of the Lesley men’s soccer team that guided them through another well-played season.

JOHANSEN_ROOKIE

Freshman Erik Johansen was one of two Lesley soccer players named Rookie of the Week in September.

October

On October 3rd, President Joseph Moore announced Lesley’s new tuition model which will be effective fall 2014.  Decided by the Lesley University Board of Trustees, the new price drops from $32,000 to $24,000 for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and from $30,600 to $24,000 for the College of Art and Design.  The changes represent Lesley’s desire to be accessible for students of diverse economic backgrounds.

Lesley-University

November

As newly unionized cafeteria workers further negotiated the terms of their contracts with administration, adjunct professors at Lesley and AIB set their sights on joining the union train.  Unhappy with their lack of benefits and security, adjuncts used the assistance of Adjunct Action to air grievances to their colleagues and plan their future with a service employees union.

Lesley/AIB professor Matt White is among the adjunct professors pushing to unionize.

Lesley/AIB professor Matt White was among the adjuncts pushing to unionize.

December

Around finals time, Lelsey’s ongoing Lunder Art Center project reached a milestone with the moving of the North Prospect Church on Massachusetts Avenue.  The move drew a crowd of spectators on the frosty morning of December 5th and was covered by The Boston Globe and other major news outlets.

BauZf2AIcAAFHZd
And there you have it.  What will 2014 bring to Lesley University?  Stay tuned to find out.

Categorised in: Campus Events, Campus News, Editorials and Opinions