Expression is Connection: The Art of Internet Creativity

Expression, in itself, is a form of connecting and communicating aspects of ourselves and our creativity to whomever chooses to receive it. How do we express our creativity? Many of us choose visual art; painting, sculpting, designing, or video making. Some of choose the art of writing by expressing our creativity through words. A number of us use movement and music as a means of expression. With the invention of the internet, we now have the ability to show our creativity to the world with the click of a button. Social networking sites like Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Flickr, and YouTube allow us to connect ourselves with an expansive audience who can receive and experience our creativity in a matter of seconds.

For one man, the creation of videos is the perfect outlet for artistic and creative expression. George Russo is a 44 year old man living with physical and mental disabilities. However, his disability cannot hinder his creative expression. George has been creating and posting videos on YouTube for 3 years, and continues to show the world his talents. The videos began more or less as a V-Log of his day-to-day life, displaying his routine of traveling to work, spending time with friends, going to the beach, and appreciating the beauty of each day. A number of his videos demonstrate his gratitude towards the “beautiful ladies” he meets in the most endearing gentlemen like manner. Since then, George has used video to showcase his paintings, music (and a fantastic drummer/singer he is), and performance pieces. He loves to cover Beatles songs, and occasionally, performs excellent Elvis Presley renditions right from his room.

Video-making as a modality provides George with a sense of pride in himself as an artist and a performer. The videos serve as a constant reminder of all the joy and beauty he experiences daily, not just to him, but the 17,000 viewers on his YouTube channel! The comments viewers have left express love and gratitude for his entertainment and talents, and rightfully so.

Sharing in George’s creative expression is one of the most remarkable experiences I have had as a writer for the Lesley Public Post. I am so grateful to have been blessed with an opportunity to witness George’s art, and be connected to such a wonderful individual.

Here is one of George’s videos, in which he performs “A Hard Day’s Night” by The Beatles: